Welcome

Welcome to my blog! I come here to share my thoughts and feelings about stumbling through life and motherhood with the twin Sheets (Colin and Sofia), my oldest daughter (Olivia) and my best friend and partner in parenting crime, Vincent.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Halloween and whatnot

This week has been a crazy week for the Sheets family.   I haven't even looked at my blog since last Friday!

It all started with Vincent getting sick.  He had what we can only assume was a stomach bug.  Tuesday night of last week he started feeling bad.  And for the next five days he was SICK!  Made several trips to the doctor for blood work.  He missed 3 days of work.  And for Vincent, that's saying something.  The man never misses work.  So you know when he does, it's serious.  Finally by Monday of this week he started feeling like himself again.  He went back to work a skinnier man--10 pounds down but a very hard way to come by it.

Then of course this week was all about Halloween.  For weeks I stressed over costumes for the kids.  Every year I try to come up with a cute theme for all of them.  Two years ago, Olivia was Cat in the Hat and the twins were Thing 1 and Thing 2.  Then last year Olivia was Dorothy, Colin was the Tin Man and Fia was Glinda the Good Witch.  But each year it's been increasingly more difficult to come up with a suitable theme that incorporates two girls and boy.  There are tons of things I could have done if I had one girl and two boys.  But alas, I don't.  So I finally decided to have Olivia go as Olivia--not herself but Olivia the pig, the cartoon/storybook character.  The twins went as characters from Yo Gabba Gabba--DJ Lance and Foofa.  And I finally came up with a theme for them, pitiful as it was:  Nick Jr. characters.  So sad.  But it worked and everyone loved their costumes.  DJ Lance was an especially big hit around the neighborhood!

DJ Lance says "Halloween is AWESOOOOOOME!"

My sweet little Foofa--she's pink and happy.

Can't believe they actually held hands

Nick Jr. triple threat!

I co-hosted Olivia's class Halloween party this year.  It was a lot of fun!  I hosted with another mom from her class.  We made it very low-key and even found some ideas of Pinterest for snacks and party favors!  That's about as Martha Stewart as I'll get all year.  But it turned out very cute and the kids had fun!  I was proud!

Olivia as Olivia the pig in the FIC Halloween parade.  She's the second Olivia in the line!  

Her 2012-2013 class and wonderful teacher, Mrs. Liles

Olivia and Daddy

It's a tradition every year in our house for Vincent and I to watch the classic slasher flick, Halloween, on Halloween.  Michael Myers' brutal murders of teenage babysitters brings a special kind of magic to Halloween that no other movie can.  The hideous 70's fashion, sub-par script, raw quality and haunting score are all little gems that add to the movie's low-budget charm.  It's definitely one of our all-time favorites and is on my list of scariest movies of all time.  Well, I had to carry on the tradition alone this year.  I watched the movie Halloween afternoon while the kids were sleeping and Vincent was at work.  It was awesome--even if it was "edited for time and content" since it was on a network station.

Then of course we had trick-or-treating that night for the kids.  This was the first year the twins walked it and they did so well.  They both walked almost the entire way.  We went pretty far, too, and their little legs never quit.  Seeing the grim reaper on the street didn't even phase them.  Well, maybe just a little.  It did me, too.  By the end of the night, candy buckets were brimming with candy.  

Halloween is such a grand time!  It's the holiday that ushers in the fall season.  It marks the beginning of the countdown to Christmas.  You get to dress up and you get pounds and pounds of free candy!   Scaring each other is the order of the day!  It's just FUN!  I think it will always be one of my favorite holidays!  I'm already thinking about costumes for next year!  That and making out the kids' Christmas lists.  

No comments:

Post a Comment