Welcome

Welcome to my blog! I come here to share my thoughts and feelings about stumbling through life and motherhood with the twin Sheets (Colin and Sofia), my oldest daughter (Olivia) and my best friend and partner in parenting crime, Vincent.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Five Minute Friday--Voice

Go!

Talking
Laughing
Singing
Humming
Mumbling
Whispering
Yelling
Roaring
(Writing?)

No  matter how we do it, God wants to hear our voice.  Loud as a shout.  Soft as a whisper.  As long as we're talking to Him.

Sometimes it's hard for me remember that.  I hate the sound of my own voice.  It's nasal-y.  I could never be an award winning singer.  Forget award winning.  Just carrying a tune is difficult.  Sometimes it's hard for me to speak up, speak my mind, speak the truth.  Why do I fear the sound of my own voice?  After all, God is the one who gave it to me.  He wants me to use it.

Writing is also a way to use my voice.  One that I find a little more safe than the spoken word.  Seeing words come to life in black and white feels good to me--better than hearing them on my lips.  I hope that I can use the words that come through my fingers rather than out of my mouth to glorify God in some way.  Still searching.....

Stop!



Here's the scoop on Five Minute Friday from Lisa Jo herself:

Five Minute Friday


We write for five minutes flat. All on the same prompt that I post here at 1 minute past midnight EST ever Friday. And we connect on Twitter with the hashtag#FiveMinuteFriday
No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation.
Unscripted. Unedited. Real.
It started because I’d been thinking about writing and how often our perfectionism gets in the way of our words. And I figured, why not take 5 minutes and see what comes out: not a perfect post, not a profound post, just five minutes of focused writing.
So now on Fridays a group of people who love to throw caution to the wind and just write without worrying if it’s just right gather to share what five minutes buys them. Just five minutes.

6 comments:

  1. hehe, I hate my voice too. I have a very strong southern accent (not pretty southern/Georgian either). You are right. We need to use our voice God gave us. That's why I write young adult/Christian fiction because I believe it's the voice God gave me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I'm a southern girl, too--Texas! That southern sound can get pretty twangy, can't it? LOL! So cool that you write Christian fiction! I love that! Are you working on publishing any of your work?

      Delete
  2. Found you at Five Min Friday. I love this post! My husband and I lead in choir at church, and I just want to hug people like you! Singing (and writing) isn't just about skill, but about heart and motivation. Some of my favorite singers are those who simply have a heart to praise the Lord, regardless of what they sound like! It's a lesson I need to learn to apply to writing too. It might not be perfect, but I'm doing it for Jesus :)

    Blessings, http://www.proverbsandpacifiers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine! You are so right! We/people shouldn't be so self-conscious about our voices--whether it's the way they sound or what they're saying! God gave them to us for a reason! So awesome that you lead the choir at your church and encourage everyone to lift up their voices to God! :)

      Delete
  3. A wonderful post. God does want us to use our voices. Let's be strong and vocal together as we talk about all that He is and can do in our lives.
    I have trouble logging in with my website to blogger posters. Hopefully my other wordpress blog will work. www.janiscox.com is my website.
    Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day I was thinking about how I would love to be a great singer, I really wanted a lovely voice. But then I was stopped in my thinking and realized that writing was my gifting. And I needed to spend time writing. If I could sing, I don't think I would concentrate on my writing. All that to say...I definitely think writing IS A VOICE and an important one. The Word became flesh and dwelt among us. So keep on, keeping on.

    ReplyDelete