Welcome

Welcome to my blog! I come here to share my thoughts and feelings about stumbling through life and motherhood with the twin Sheets (Colin and Sofia), my oldest daughter (Olivia) and my best friend and partner in parenting crime, Vincent.

Friday, October 19, 2012

An open letter of apology to my husband

Dear Vincent,

Today the November 2012 issue of Better Homes and Gardens came in the mail.  You know, the magazine that's about all things home decor and cooking that just randomly started showing up in our mailbox one day.  Well I had a few seconds of downtime this afternoon (if you can believe that) and decided to read through this issue instead of tossing it or giving it to my mom like I normally do.  Oh my.  Let me tell you about some of the stuff in there!  I saw "37 must-have recipes for a homemade Thanksgiving".  I read about how to make the perfect pie crust.  Also saw some really "creative touches for our holiday table".  What holiday table, right?  Are you laughing at the thought of me reading this yet?  Don't feel bad for admitting it.  I chuckled at myself, too.  I admit that I enjoyed flipping through the pages and seeing what STYLISH homes look like and reading about what it takes to prepare a REAL meal.  And yet with the turn of every page, felt less and less like a good wife.  I am definitely no June Clever.  Martha Stewart would laugh at me.  Carol Brady would be disgusted by me--after all, she's got SIX kids!  I'm less than ideal so I'm here to say I'm sorry to you--sorry that you married a girl:

*who will never don an apron while cooking dinner.  If I spill something on my shirt, I'll just change shirts.
*who doesn't know how to cook a turkey.
*who's known to leave clean laundry in the dryer for several days and just pulls clothes out as-needed.
*who doesn't know how to bake a pie from scratch.
*who doesn't like to bake, period.
*whose idea of decorating is just copying styles out of a Pottery Barn catalog--and even then it doesn't look very good.
*who has about 5 meals in her current dinner rotation.
*who owns a sewing machine but used it one time to make 4 square throw pillows for her couch.
*who told you it was better that you iron your own shirts b/c I might ruin them.
*whose idea of cooking dinner usually involves at least one dish that comes out of a box, bag or Crock Pot.
*who will probably never have a complete set of her wedding china, flatware or stemware.
*who hates to vacuum the staircase so she never does.
*who may never get the twins' room painted.
*who will never be "the hostess with the mostest".

I know that I am hopelessly flawed and I am the complete antithesis of what the model wife should be.  But before you start to reconsider your choice in life-mates, you should also know you married a girl:
*who loves her family more than she loves herself.
*who looks forward to all the Disney World vacations we're going to take with our kids.
*who thinks you are an amazing father.
*who loves that you are her best friend.
*who would rather spend time with you than anyone else.
*who appreciates and admires your work ethic.
*who loves your kind and generous nature.
*who is thankful to God for bringing you into her life.
*who thinks you are very intelligent.
*who prays for you.
*who puts you and the kids first.
*who loves to cook dinner with you.
*who is grateful for your technical expertise--especially when we have a computer crisis.
*who is thankful you never complain against her.
*who will love you for the rest of her life.

So maybe I should publish a magazine for all the wives out there like me--the poor man's Martha Stewart.  Or maybe I should take a cooking class instead.  Either way, I know I'm not the perfect wife, Vincent.  But I'm YOUR wife.  And I couldn't be any prouder.  Thanks for loving me, for being wonderful you and always being there for me!

Love Forever,
Allison


No comments:

Post a Comment